Ministering to those with Cancer
Someone I know has Cancer
Q: I would like advice on how to reach someone for Christ.
Our church congregation is blessing a local family this Christmas, and I’m the “point person”. I am the contact person for the family. The family was chosen because the mom is battling stage 4 cancer. Words like terminal have not been used, but what she has is inoperable.
I’m in daily contact with the lady, and I have found small moments to share my faith & give God the glory, but I feel a tugging on my heart to go further.
The husband has said they are not church-going folks, and I do believe that the mom at least “knows of God”, but I haven’t asked about their relationship with Jesus.
I know about evangelism, and participated lightly in a ministry in college, but I stumble over words and don’t want to be insensitive to this persons situation. I also don’t know when it’s the “right time” to open up a conversation. I know that God will give me what I need when I need it, and it will be the Holy Spirit speaking through me, but I just wanted some advice / encouragement.
And as a side note, I know my husband. Is great at evangelism, talking about faith and communicating with people, so know I should include him.
A: The family likely already knows you are from a church and assume you would talk about Christity at some point.
Here is an idea to start a conversation...give some thing she can read.
I have incurable cancer so I want to use it [the situation] for the gospel. I recently heard if this book and want to read it. An AU brother in Christ of mine knew him (the author passed just very recently). Grab a copy, read it and share it; i hope the gospel is in there. If not, drop a solid tract in there like living waters Why Christianity and either way also include Save Yourself Some Pain (new believers booklet). So they have an idea "what now". Plus...You could include a letter on pretty paper to let her/them know you care about them as fellow humans, neighbors and people you've gotten to know and that you & your husband are available any time to have conversations about God, answer questions, pray with any and all them, and conversations about the Gospel. That can be your doorway. Regatdless you shared your intention.
You could bring that in a gift bag over to them as a house visiting gift or as a gift when leaving the home. Put in a small gift bag, some decaf tea and sugar free cookies or something with it. So it is nice and received well.
There are other books here (and resources) that can help the family and if you read some of the books you might want to gift it to them sooner than later, but if after... ask the Pastor the best timeframe to offer a book on Grieving and God to unsaved people.
You could bring it up as time allows (idk her est life span) after giving her a few days to look at it and read it. Ask if there was anything in the book that particularly struck a cord with her, anything that she was encouraged by and anything she had questions or curiosities about. That way it touches on if she has even read the book. Her husband might sneak a read too out of curiosity and you could offer him other books (linked) and conversations to help him through this time.
Since God brought you into their lives, make sure this isn't a Christmas hi bye and never see them again thing. As long as they allow you in their home or lives stay in touch. You can minister to them well after her passing.
Keep in touch. If the family is a mess consider the church offering to bring healthy meals to the family in the later days and after her death and you can bring the family food when you check in with them for general care and kindness. This could really move them showing the love of Christ.
And because they connect you to memories with her you might have a long term foot in the door. Just be patient, loving, understanding, remember they're unsaved and will act like it... so grace, patience, long suffering, forgiveness etc will be needed in every encounter. Your pastor can give you more advice on this since it is a special situation.
God bless 🙏
PS. Not a bad idea to contact some church members who had in the past suffered loss due to cancer and ask for their stories, how they felt, what they grew to understand, difficulties they faced after the death, things they thought about, emotional struggles they had after finding out the news, how the spouse took it, how the person took it, dealt with it, needs they had, etc, and consider contacting biblical counselors to get advice on this situation and around your ministering.
Also if the family has kids or you think this might be an idea based on what you see in the cancer patients home, you could have the mall patch guy make some patches and put on some small bear(s) to gift too.
Ideas for belly patch:
*God Comforts
*Jesus Brings Peace
The imaged bears are only 4 1/2 " so kind of too tiny for an actual bear plushy.
Comments
Post a Comment